You may have heard a lot about Birkenstock sandals but are Birkenstocks good for flat feet? After wearing Birkenstocks for a couple of weeks, I realized how much better they were for my feet than any other type of shoes or sandals that I had tried before.
It can be hard to find shoes that fit well and feel comfortable if you have flat feet. Fortunately, Birkenstocks are good for flat feet, and they are the best for anyone with flat feet. These footwear are designed to work with your feet’s natural shape, so they feel great to wear all day long.
Although these sandals feel comfortable and durable, they are comparatively expensive. If you are looking for a more affordable option, we recommend looking into Teva sandals instead. Tevas are similar in shape and design, but you can find these sandals in both online and in-shop retailers for cheaper price.
However, if you have flat feet and wondering if a pair of Birkenstocks is suitable, you have come to the right place. This article will help you understand how to maximize the benefits of your new sandals, as well as how to make sure they fit properly so that they don’t cause any pain or discomfort.
Keep reading to find the answers.
- What Causes Flat Feet?
- What Does Flat Feet Look Like & How Do You Know You Have Flat Feet?
- What Are Birkenstocks Sandals?
- Are Birkenstocks Good For Flat Feet?
- What makes Birkenstocks Good For Flat Feet?
- Why Do Birkenstocks Make My Feet Hurt?
- How To Choose Right Birkenstock Sandals For Your Flat Feet?
What Causes Flat Feet?
Flat feet are a common condition in which the arch of the foot collapses. It can lead to a number of problems, including leg and back pain, as well as difficulties with balance. Over time, most people with flat feet usually develop it during childhood, but they may also appear later in life.
The exact cause of flat feet is not known, but it is believed that genetics plays a role in the development of flat feet.
Other factors that may contribute to or cause flat feet include:
Obesity is a major risk factor for flat feet. Around 20 percent of all Americans are obese, making it one of the most prevalent health problems in our country. The excess weight you carry around, combined with a sedentary lifestyle, can cause the bones in your feet to become flattened.
Injuries can be the main cause of flat feet and the pain that comes with them. The most common form includes a twisted ankle, which leads to a stress fracture in the tarsal bones of the foot. When these bones are weakened, they are unable to support the arch of the foot and thus result in a drop foot deformity.
Arthritis is a common cause of flat feet. It can have an impact on the joints of the foot, making them less flexible and causing muscle imbalance.
This makes ligaments and tendons less flexible and causes your arches to flatten, leading to overpronation or rolling inwards at the ankle, which causes pain upon pressure on the affected area.
As we age, our bones tend to become more brittle and lose mass over time. Flat feet are actually the natural result of the aging process. As we get older, our feet will tend to flatten out as a result of this increased brittleness and loss of mass in the bones that comprise the arch of the foot.
Some research suggests that having a higher body mass index (BMI) also contributes to an increased risk of developing flat feet.
You may not realize it, but genetics could be behind the reason why you or someone you know has flat feet.
According to the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons (AAOS), genetics is one of the biggest factors involved in developing flexible flat feet, which makes people more prone to other orthopedic problems down the road.
So, those are common reasons people get flat feet and now let us go through ways you can know if you have flat feet or not.
What Does Flat Feet Look Like & How Do You Know You Have Flat Feet?
It can be hard to tell if you have flat feet, but there are some signs that show you likely have flat feet. The most obvious sign of flat feet is the appearance of your feet.
If your arches look flatter than normal, you may have flat feet. Another common sign of flat feet is a pain in your legs or back caused by pressure on the joints when you stand for long periods of time.
If you suspect that you have flat feet, here is what to look for:
- Your feet look flat when viewed from the side.
- Your arch is lower than normal, and your ankles are flat or even inverted (turned inward).
- There’s a gap between your first and second toes when you stand with your legs together.
- You have pain in your heels or arches of your feet when you stand or walk.
- Frequent ankle sprains and/or knee pain while exercising or playing sports.
- You feel like your arches are collapsing.
- You have a hard time finding comfortable shoes.
What Are Birkenstocks Sandals?
Birkenstocks sandals are a popular choice for those looking for comfort and support. They are available in a variety of styles and colors, so you can find the perfect pair for your needs. The Birkenstocks are known for their comfortable footpads, which provide arch support and distribute weight evenly across the foot.
Also, Birkenstocks sandals are unique because they’re made with a special footbed that has been ergonomically designed to support the shape of your feet, providing you with unparalleled comfort.
The sandals also feature a cork sole, which allows the shoe to mold to your feet and absorb shock as you walk. This means that you can walk longer distances without getting sore feet or experiencing pain.
A Brief History on Birkenstocks
Birkenstock sandals are a classic footwear style that’s been around for over 200 years. They were first created by Johann Adam Birkenstock in 1774, who was an inventor, cobbler, and shoemaker. His goal was to create a shoe that would provide ample support while also being comfortable and stylish.
It was Johann’s grandson, Konrad, that took over the company in 1879. He focused on improving the quality of the sandals while still keeping them affordable for everyone. This is why Birkenstocks are still known for their quality and affordability today.
Features of Birkenstocks – What Makes Birkenstocks Sandals Special?
Birkenstocks sandals are a great option for flat feet. They are comfortable, durable, and fashionable.
They are comfortable because they have a padded footbed that is made of cork and latex. The footbed also has arch support, which makes them very comfortable to walk in.
They are durable because they are made from high-quality materials that can last for years if you take care of them properly.
They are fashionable because there are many different styles available in stores today, and you can find something that works for your style preferences.
Factors You Should Consider Before Wearing Birkenstocks Sandals
- It might take time to break them in.
- They’re heavy and may be uncomfortable to wear for long periods of time.
- The straps can be irritating on the skin if they are not broken in properly.
- They don’t dry quickly. If your feet get wet when you’re wearing these sandals, they won’t dry quickly enough for you to continue wearing them all day long.
If you’re not familiar with footwear terminology, here’s a list of words that’ll help you out.
Common Birkenstocks Footwear Terms to be Familiar With
- Footbed: The Birkenstock Footbed is the base of every Birkenstock sandal. It provides optimum support for your tired feet and legs, making it a perfect summer sandal choice for those who are always on their feet.
- Cork: The cork sole provides you with a comfortable and anti-slip walking surface, while the anatomically formed footbed conforms to the natural shape of your foot for added comfort.
- Shearling: Shearling is a sheepskin leather with short, curly wool. Birkenstock combines it with their comfortable anatomically footbeds for a durable, comfortable, and cushioning shoe for everyday wear.
Are Birkenstocks Good For Flat Feet?
You may have heard that Birkenstock sandals are one of the best options for flat feet. This is because they have a cork footbed, and this helps to keep your feet comfortable and supported. The cork is also naturally antibacterial, so these shoes are great if you have sweaty feet or tend to get blisters easily.
Birkenstock sandals are known to provide support and comfort to people who have flat feet or other foot conditions that require extra support. So, if you have flat feet, it is best for you to consider.
They are made of leather or suede and usually come with an EVA sole. They have a wide toe box that allows your toes to spread out. It is a feature that makes them ideal for people who have flat feet or other foot conditions like bunions or hammer toes.
What makes Birkenstocks Good For Flat Feet?
Birkenstock sandals are good for flat feet because the arch support will help you create a more stable base. If your feet are flat, then you probably don’t have much of a natural arch. The Birkenstock sandal will help to create one for you so that your whole body is balanced.
It’s not just the arch support that makes them great for people with flat feet. The shape of the footbed is also important. The footbed is long and narrow, which means it fills out the entire length of your foot and supports the natural shape of your foot. It feels like your toes are being hugged by a soft blanket.
This is especially important if you have problems with your plantar fascia ligament. If you’ve ever experienced pain in this area, you know how uncomfortable it can be.
This is the reason those with sciatica problems need sciatica running shoes, and Birkenstocks is one to consider because they allow for maximum comfort.
Why Do Birkenstocks Make My Feet Hurt?
Most people who wear Birkenstock sandals have never had a problem with them. But for some people, wearing these shoes can be uncomfortable or even painful. The reason for this is that the shape of a Birkenstock footbed is different from what most people are accustomed to walking on.
Here are reasons Birkenstocks makes your feet hurt:
You got the wrong size
Birkenstocks come in a variety of widths, so it’s important to try them on when you buy them. If your Birkenstock is too narrow, the straps will dig into your foot and be uncomfortable. And if they’re too wide, they could move around while you’re walking.
So, you need to ensure you get the right size as it will help to ensure it does not hurt your feet.
Birkenstocks are well-known for requiring a break-in period. The leather is quite thick and, as such, takes a while to soften up. New styles may take longer than older ones since they tend to have more leather on them.
Therefore, the break-in period could be the reason you feel the pain in your feet. You need to wear them regularly so that you can break in quickly.
Your feet shape
Your feet’ shape, size, and condition have a big effect on the comfort of your Birkenstock sandal. The more pointed your toes are, the less likely they are to conform to any standard-shaped footbed. In other words, extra narrow shoes might not work for you at all.
How To Choose Right Birkenstock Sandals For Your Flat Feet?
If you have flat feet, Birkenstock sandals are something you should consider. Their firm footbed and orthopedic design provide plenty of comforts that flat feet aren’t used to.
There are some things to consider when purchasing new Birkenstock sandals, and they are:
- Fit: You should make sure that the fit of the shoe is perfect before buying it because you may not be able to return it once purchased if it does not fit well. Also, apart from not being able to return it, it will be less comfortable on your feet whenever you wear it.
- Comfort: You should look for comfort when choosing a pair of Birkenstock sandals. They are designed specifically for those who have flat feet, so they will provide maximum comfort throughout the day if chosen correctly.
- Durability: It is important to choose a pair of Birkenstock sandals that lasts long so that you do not have to spend money again and again on new pairs every time one wears out due to regular wear and tear caused by normal use over time.
- Style: Style is an important consideration as Birkenstock sandals are unique in terms of style and fashion. In fact, you can choose from a variety of styles, but it’s still important to make sure that the sandals suit your personal taste.
- Size: The first thing to do is check out the size chart. Birkenstock offers a range of different sizes, so make sure that you are ordering the right size for your feet. The sandals come in different widths as well, so if one is not wide enough, you can try another style with a wider toe box.
Birkenstock is a brand that has been making shoes for flat feet since 1774. It’s no surprise, then, that the brand has become a favorite among people with flat feet. The performance of the shoes gives the right answers to several questions, and one is, are Birkenstocks good for flat feet?
Flat feet are a common problem among many people, but they can be treated with simple solutions like the Birkenstocks. These sandals offers excellent comfort and arch support, making them an ideal choice for flat feet. So if you’re someone like me with flat feet, I will highly recommend warning Birkenstocks and see if it helps.